Applying The Bible to Our Culture and World

These are the opinions of Jeff Phillips, pastor of an inner city Southern Baptist church in the heart of the bible belt. These views do not represent Woodfield Park Baptist Church, Ashley my wife, our 3 dogs or 3 cats.







Thursday, April 15, 2010

Why Would God NOT Judge the U.S.?

As I ponder the question asked in the title of this blog, I struggle to come up with reasons He would not. Now let me say this, I love my country. There is no place I'd rather live. I am glad God in His grace chose me to be born an American. But like so many who take the bible literally, I am distressed at where my country stands now in relation to the word of God. We seem to be a country that worships God "with our lips," but our hearts are "far from Him." The laws and commands of God are willfully ignored and a spirit of political correctness and compromise override obedience to our Creator and Savior. As a nation, all we have to do is look at the history of Israel to know that God will indeed judge the United States.

Paul writes by the Holy Spirit in 1 Corinthians 10:6, "Now these things(regarding Israel) became our example to the intent that we would not lust after evil things as they(Israel) also lusted." Israel is given to us as an example, an example of what not to do in many cases. God was patient with Israel. For well over a thousand years He watched as they fell away from Him and chased after other gods. He would judge them in part but they would return to Him and He would show mercy. This was the pattern of Israel throughout it's history.

Finally, God sent His Son unto His own, Israel, but "His own received Him not." This rejection of Messiah led to the destruction of Jerusalem and the scattering of the Jews in 70 AD. Israel would not exist as a nation again until 1948, as a result of this judgment of God. God loves Israel, He calls them the "apple" of His eye. But God told them He would judge them if they did not follow Him. They did not, and hence, the judgment.

As a nation the United States was founded upon the foundation of Judeo-Christian values with a belief and understanding of the bible. It is hard to make the argument that we are still a nation that rests upon those same values. We live in a nation and culture that celebrates and embraces sin. Immorality is now accepted and considered normal. Things God calls an abomination and unnatural are held up as natural. The lives of the unborn, the most defenseless in our society, have been discarded to the tune of over 50 million abortions since 1973. We are more and more a pagan nation.

And recently our government has shown a disdain for God's re-established nation, Israel, and in our history have never been closer to turning our back on those who are still God's chosen, though they still be outside of God's will. God's promise to Abraham and his descendants was, "I will bless those who bless you, and I will curse those who curse you." God help us if we turn away from Israel.

Throughout the bible the message is clear to people who stand where we now stand. Repent and return to the Lord! While I pray daily for revival in our churches and nation in my lifetime there has never been a time when we've been further away from God. So why would God not judge us? In my heart I find myself praying, Lord, "in Your wrath, remember mercy." Our cup of iniquity is reaching its point of overflowing. Unless we return to the Lord our judgment as a nation is not a matter of if, but when.

No comments:

Post a Comment