Applying The Bible to Our Culture and World

These are the opinions of Jeff Phillips, pastor of an inner city Southern Baptist church in the heart of the bible belt. These views do not represent Woodfield Park Baptist Church, Ashley my wife, our 3 dogs or 3 cats.







Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Revisiting Gossip

On Facebook today a friend of mine made the observation; "Even if I don't know what I'm doing someone else will." Now we live in a very small town, and this woman being a native here, was swamped with "likes" and comments supporting the unfortunate fact that some unsubstantiated and untrue tidbit was being passed along about her. Such is the case with gossip.

I must admit I have never lived in a town like Chesterfield. I honestly hope no one takes offense at this remark, but in many ways it's like a "bizarro" Mayberry. I've never lived anyplace where a town's own enjoy talking about those they claim as friends and family and to love as some people do here. Now don't get me wrong, I've had the opportunity to befriend many fine people here and value the friendships that I've made. That said, their is something about such an intimate environment where most people know each other or are related in some way that seems to bring out the worst in otherwise good folks when it comes to gossip.

I could commiserate with my friend and her frustration today on Facebook, as I myself had to deal with 2 separate incidences today where someone claimed I said something I did not. Both were resolved, but still, it makes me wonder when people will ever learn that nothing good can come by spreading hearsay or rumors. By taking as fact something someone says but who won't let you know the source.

The very sad fact is that some folks lives are so regrettable that the only joy they can find is in perpetuating the misery of others. They can say my life is not so bad if your life is worse, so they are willing to listen to and repeat anything that crosses their ears. I'm sure their is plenty of gossip to go around in large cities as well, but the closeness of a small community just seems to accentuate it's impact on people's lives far worse than an area where most don't know you instead of where most do.

For my Facebook friend, I encourage you to do these 3 things to help you deal with gossip. 1) deal with the source and try to get things straight as soon as possible, 2) Be able to have a sense of humor about it, and 3) If a source cannot be identified, just ignore it. It's honestly not worth the trouble. God knows the truth, and ultimately, He is the only One who matters. Is it frustrating and sometimes downright angering, you bet. But it's not worth losing sleep over. Pray for the sorry people whose lives revolve around drama and be thankful you have true friends and family in your life. For more on gossip see my blog from June 29, 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment