Applying The Bible to Our Culture and World

These are the opinions of Jeff Phillips, pastor of an inner city Southern Baptist church in the heart of the bible belt. These views do not represent Woodfield Park Baptist Church, Ashley my wife, our 3 dogs or 3 cats.







Friday, February 25, 2011

Evangelist Ken Carter Now In Glory

I met Dr. Ken Carter for the first time in 2003. Ken received an honorary doctorate from Southeastern Baptist Seminary. Ken was an evangelist with ministries across the world and also here at home in the United States. He came to the church where I was called into the ministry, Peniel Baptist Church in Timmonsville, SC, to lead our congregation to seek a deeper prayer life. This was one of Ken's passions as he knew the church first and foremost needed to seek the power of God through sincere prayer. Ken's instruction was wonderful and greatly influenced my view of ministry.

Ken returned to Peniel a year later to preach a revival. It was at this point in my life I was feeling the call into ministry but struggling mightily to surrender and obey. Ken was planning a trip to Cuba the following fall and I signed up for this mission trip. Even though I had never preached a sermon Ken said he would allow me to do so on the trip. He embraced my calling and took me under his wing, teaching me many things in the process. Among them were:

1) THE POWER OF PRAYER: Everything Ken did began and ended with prayer. Prayer was a burden that God had placed upon his heart and he preached the message of the power of prayer everywhere he went. He led churches to seek God's face and never wavered in his commitment to taking everything to God's throne of grace.

2) THE POWER OF THE HOLY SPIRIT: It's rare a person's first public message is through an interpreter, but that was the case for me. Before I preached, as I watched others precede me, I wondered to myself how God could use such an awkward forum. You don't even know if the interpreter is communicating what God has laid upon your heart. But as I watched and actually preached myself I realized an essential lesson. The power of preaching does not rest in the preacher, but rather in the Holy Spirit. God's word will not return to Him void. I was simply amazed at the power of God's word to change lives and save people. And I realized that it was all about Him, and not me.

3) STREET EVANGELISM WORKS: In our crusade in Cuba we saw many accept Christ as their Savior. But we saw far more come to Christ through one-on-one witnessing in the streets of the small Cuban villages we witnessed in. Though their were army guards that should have stopped us per government law, they did not. The people were eager to hear the truth and embrace it. Of the nearly 500 people who prayed to receive Christ, 90% or more were won one-on-one or in small groups on the streets. It is still a burden to me as to why we are so eager to practice this method in foreign countries yet when we return home we seem to put it away. Show me a church that is out and about telling people of Christ, and I will show you one that is seeing God save people.

4) DIFFERING DENOMINATIONS SHOULD WORK TOGETHER: On this trip we had Baptists, Pentacostals, Presbyterians and non-denominational church members. While we disagreed on some theology, were were united around the person of Christ and that only He can save. We put aside the minor things to focus upon the most important thing; Jesus. And God provided fruit for these efforts.

Over the years I kept in touch with Ken. I had lunch with him a few times and would run into him at different conferences. He always remembered me and encouraged me. While I'm saddened by the earthly loss of him, I am rejoicing that he is now with his blessed Savior whom he loved so much. I'll always remember Ken Carter, and the things he taught me. He embraced a confused young preacher and without hesitation gave me the opportunity to fully enter the ministry. Thanks brother Ken, and our most heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment