Applying The Bible to Our Culture and World

These are the opinions of Jeff Phillips, pastor of an inner city Southern Baptist church in the heart of the bible belt. These views do not represent Woodfield Park Baptist Church, Ashley my wife, our 3 dogs or 3 cats.







Friday, August 5, 2011

Do We Approve of God? Polling Shows....

I ran across one of the more comical things I have seen in a while this week. In late July Public Policy Polling, a democratic polling agency, asked 928 respondents what they thought of the job God was doing. 52% of respondents said they thought God was doing a good job. 9% disapproved of the job God was doing. I'm assuming that means 39% have no opinion of how God is doing His job. The poll rejoiced in the fact that God's approval rating was higher than President Obama's and far higher than congress. That's a mighty high standard to hold God to, isn't it?

The polling was even more detailed: 71% approved of God's creation of the universe, while 5% disapproved(they obviously could have done better). 56% approved of God's governance of the animal kingdom, while 11% disapproved(I'm thinking they have a fire ant problem). 26% of those under the age of 65 disapproved of God's handling of natural disasters(I'm assuming they think their should not be any).

A spokesman for Public Policy Polling, PPP, had this to say about the Almighty. "Though not the most popular figure PPP has polled, if God exists, voters are prepared to give it good marks." The margin of error in this poll was 3.2%.

Where to start with this nonsense. The arrogance of this poll is astounding, and you can tell the PPPeople conducting this poll have no concept of who, not what, God really is. God says through His word, that "pride comes before a fall." Who are we to think we can judge God? As God told Job, "where were you when I hung the stars..."

Secondly, I had to at least think the question; What would God's approval rating be of mankind? As I survey the landscape of the world we live in, I cannot see God approving of most of what goes on. I believe God's opinion of the world is best expressed in 2 Timothy 3:1-5, "But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self control, brutal, not lovers of God-having a form of godliness but denying it's power. Have nothing to do with them." I wonder what the poll would have shown if the question were; Do you approve of what the bible says?

The thing is, and I pray with all of my heart that the people at PPP, and those who actually thought it was a good idea to judge the Creator of the universe, can somehow comprehend this truth. God does not approve of mankind at this point. "All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." "There is none good, no, not one." "All we like sheep have gone astray..." But because He cannot approve of the fact we are all lowly sinners, He sent His Son to die for our sins that through Him, they can be forgiven. The message of God to all mankind is: I love you! I've made the ultimate sacrifice for you in sending My Son Jesus to you. All of you can know Me for eternity if you confess and repent of your sins, and come to Me through Jesus. If you have faith that I am capable of doing what I say I have done; raising Jesus from the dead, and that through My grace I will save you, you will be with Me forever.

I wonder what the polling data would be on that. The arrogance of "it," thinking "it" knows more than us and can tell us what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment