Applying The Bible to Our Culture and World

These are the opinions of Jeff Phillips, pastor of an inner city Southern Baptist church in the heart of the bible belt. These views do not represent Woodfield Park Baptist Church, Ashley my wife, our 3 dogs or 3 cats.







Friday, March 19, 2010

Thorn in My Back

2 Corinthians 12:7, "And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure"

Sometimes, when things are going well, we get a friendly reminder in our lives to keep us grounded and to make sure our eyes remain upon the Lord. This reminder may take may forms: Physical or emotional pain; financial struggles; family worries; illness. The ways that God can allow our lives to be affected for His purpose are truly endless. For me these last few weeks, it's been sciatic nerve and back pain. I cannot sit down or get up without excruciating pain, and now even when I lie down. The only way I'm somewhat comfortable is standing up. So, what am I too make of this challenge in my life?

Paul sets the example for us, as so many time he does. What was Paul's thorn in the flesh? No one knows for certain. Some speculate it was chronic eye problems, others the ones who tried to hinder his ministry. All we can do is speculate as Paul does not let us know, and I believe he does this for a reason. Each of us will have different "thorns." So God leaves it a mystery so each of us can learn from whatever challenge we may be experiencing in our lives. No matter the challenge, the remedy is always the same; God's grace.

In 2 Corinthians 12:8 Paul tells us he pleads with God in prayer 3 times for the Lord to remove his thorn. God's answer is some tough love, but it is true love, and it's given in this way to keep us dependent upon Him. in 2 Corinthians 12:9-10 it reads, "And He(God) said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

Now I must admit, I'm struggling with the taking pleasure part right now. But through God's word I do know how I should be viewing this "thorn" in my life. I know that this is to strengthen me in my walk with God, and make me even more dependent upon Him. Quite honestly, I'm not a good patient. My wife just yelled "Amen" from the bedroom. But I do realize how many are in far worse condition than me. I have a doctors appointment next week to hopefully alleviate the condition. But while I am weak at this moment, God is trying to teach me.

I believe with all of my heart that our witness is never stronger than when we are enduring a trial and instead of complaining we can glorify God through it all. This is what Paul did and what God desires from us. It is a test and an opportunity. So as I endure, I am praying I can center my focus upon God as I know this is what He wants. It's a struggle. It's tough getting through the day not sitting down, lol. But, if somehow, God can grow me through this, I'll shout hallelujah! Our walk with Christ will be a challenge in many ways, even painful ones. But all of us have areas need to grow. The things God will use to grow us are limitless, even a pain in the behind. But His grace is sufficient, Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment