Applying The Bible to Our Culture and World

These are the opinions of Jeff Phillips, pastor of an inner city Southern Baptist church in the heart of the bible belt. These views do not represent Woodfield Park Baptist Church, Ashley my wife, our 3 dogs or 3 cats.







Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Deadliest Catch

Over the last year or so I've found myself hooked on a Discovery Channel T.V. show called "Deadliest Catch." The show chronicles the real life adventures and trials of Alaskan crab fisherman on the Bering Sea. 4 boats and captains: Sig Hansen of the Northwestern; Andy and Jonathan Hillstrand of the Time Bandit; Keith of the Wizard; and Phil Harris of the Cornelia Marie are the main characters in this intriguing, real-life drama.

Of these captains, Phil Harris has become my favorite. While I would not recommend this show for children as we are talking sailors here(language is rough), each has his own distinct personality that transfers to his boat. Sig is the hard-core crab fisherman. Andy and Jonathan the pranksters. Keith can be a jerk, and Phil, well Phil is the old hippie who has mellowed over the years and has a charisma that is magnetic. Last night on the show however, Captain Phil died from complications from a major stroke.

As I've watched these men battle a job that is beyond grueling, and weather that is unimaginable, life and death has been a constant theme. Every season has featured a boat of some other fisherman sinking and many times life being lost. Crab fishing is billed as the world's most dangerous profession, and one viewing of the show reveals why. As these men have stared death in the face I've often wondered to myself, are they saved? How could anyone pursue such a dangerous line of work without a sincere faith in God that if death were to come, heaven would await?

As I've become engrossed in the show, I've never really noticed an active faith among any of the main characters. God's name is rarely mentioned, except in vain, and talk of "crab god's" far outweighs talk of Jehovah God. As Phil's condition has been unveiled the last few weeks, I've found myself hoping in spite of the lack of a Christian witness, that somehow he did know Jesus. I really like this guy.

As the tribute to Phil aired last night, words of praise were showered upon him. Friends and his sons spoke of what a good, decent man he was. A good father beloved by all his fishing comrades and millions now across the world because of this T.V. show. To close the show last night, following a special show from New Orleans, an old fashioned New Orleans street walking wake took place and Phil's life and death were celebrated. Keith remarked that Phil was surely in heaven.

Is Captain Phil in heaven? I can't answer that. What I do know is that no matter how fine a man he was, that will do nothing as to determining his eternal dwelling place. Only faith in Jesus Christ; the heartfelt belief that He paid the price for our sins on the cross, was buried and rose again on the 3rd day, can insure our place in heaven. Did Phil know Jesus in this way? I hope he did, but from his life we saw on television, theirs no real evidence of this.

From a show named "Deadliest Catch," I've found myself pondering life's deadliest choice; a life without Jesus as Lord and Savior. A life without Jesus will lead to an eternity in hell. Eternal torment and separation from God. Like Captain Phil, none of us is guaranteed tomorrow. The end could come quickly here on earth, and eternity will be staring us in the face in the person of Jesus Christ. When we stand before Him, only one question will matter: Have you accepted Him as Lord and Savior? Many times, I actually found myself praying for these brave men and crews, for them to come to a saving relationship with Jesus. Have they? We can't know, as only God can judge the heart. But for the rest of this fishing fleet I pray that Phil's death will give reason to consider this question of eternal importance. I really like these guys.

Phil Harris clearly touched many lives. I know I'll miss him. I pray one day I meet him in heaven, but that decision has already been made. It was made in his life here on earth. Hebrews 9:27 tells us, "that man is appointed to die once, and then the judgment." Phil's eternal destination has already been determined. Has yours? It is never too late to change that destination. Accept and receive Jesus Christ today as your Savior and follow Him as Lord of your life. No matter how good of a person you believe yourself to be, you can never meet God's standards of holiness and sinlessness apart from Christ. And while we cannot know what tomorrow will bring, we can know what eternity will bring. Today, make sure of your eternal dwelling place. Pray to Jesus for Him to forgive you of your sins, turn to God from those sins, and receive Him as your Savior. Don't face death here on earth without the assurance of eternal life with God in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment