Applying The Bible to Our Culture and World

These are the opinions of Jeff Phillips, pastor of an inner city Southern Baptist church in the heart of the bible belt. These views do not represent Woodfield Park Baptist Church, Ashley my wife, our 3 dogs or 3 cats.







Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Preacher Gets Preached Too

For a scripture reference today, turn to Matthew 25:31-46. I won't list the scripture to save space.

This morning at Oakland Baptist Church we held one of my favorite ministries, our fellowship breakfast. At this monthly event some men in our church fix a wonderful southern style breakfast as members from many different churches and denominations come together to enjoy each others company, and enjoy breakfast. We also are fed spiritually as a guest speaker comes every month to encourage us with a message. This mornings speaker was Pastor Jeff Gardner of Gum Springs Baptist Church in Hartsville, a Chesterfield native. Little did I know that brother Jeff would be preaching directly to me this morning.

Let me go back to late last week. My wife put me in touch with a married couple who are enduring some extremely difficult times. The husband is unable to work due to a stroke. The wife also has some physical ailments. They are living in their car, and were asking us for some help.

Whenever we encounter a situation like this, we always do a check on the person to make sure their claims are legitimate. I spoke with the couple and acquired some references who I spoke with, and each of them warned me to stay away from them. They said they were in their situation mostly from their own making and that they had been to about every church in 2 counties seeking help. With this couple their were more red flags than you could count. The decision would seem easy, they need to help themselves before we could help them. After discussing the situation with our benevolence committee I called them to tell them we could not help them. In my mind I believed the decision sound, but my heart was still a little uncertain. Why? Because I had no doubt that they were currently living in their car. Then, brother Jeff preached this morning.

The previously referenced scripture in Matthew 25 is written to Israel and is part of the Olivet discourse where Jesus teaches on end times. It speaks of the judgment of the nations, and the separation of the sheep(God's people) and the goats(Satan's people). In it Jesus says that IF a person is truly God's, they will have a heartfelt concern for those in true need. In verses 34-36 Jesus says, "Then the King will say to those on His right hand, Come you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me." The people then ask, when did we do this? In verse 40 Jesus responds, "...inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me." These are the sheep. The goats are the ones who did not show mercy and compassion and do these things. As I heard this preached this morning, it hit me, you're being a goat.

Was this couple probably responsible for much of what had befallen them? Yes. Were they in true need? Yes. These people had claimed to believe in Jesus but had no church. I doubted their words. But friends, if a person IS lost we cannot expect them to behave as a child of God. I spoke with brother Jeff after the breakfast and thanked him for the message, and told him I had a phone call to make, after telling him of the situation.

I met with the couple this afternoon. I was going to help them. But I also wanted to truly know their spiritual condition. When we met they were pathetic. Everything they owned was in their car, and it was not much. When we began to speak they started crying. They were broken and in a state of desperation neither had ever experienced. The wife said straight out "I grew up in church." I asked her if she truly knew Jesus, and as she wept bitterly, she cried out no. The husband also in tears admitted the same. We talked about God and how they could truly know Jesus. As much as they needed the material help, they needed the help and forgiveness of Christ more. God had been calling them through this time of trial, and both were ready to receive Christ as Lord and Savior, which they both did.

This was not a condition for receiving my help. It occurred after some food and gas were purchased. They wanted to know Him. They had reached the point God wants all of us to reach, where we want and need to turn to Him. They have a long road ahead, but for the first time in their lives, they are finally on the right road. I told them of several church run soup kitchens that could help feed them. I advised they speak with the church staff to see what other services were available in their community because they were not in Chesterfield. I told them I would assist them in seeking additional assistance, and invited them to church. They live about 20 miles away so I encouraged them to seek a local church if Oakland was to far away. We had a wonderful, spiritual time together.

And now, it is up to them, and me. We spoke at length about the "Greatest Commandment," and how if they were genuine in their desire to know and grow in Christ, they would seek to be in church and learn and practice His word. But I also have a responsibility to help guide them in this. To be a discipler if they are willing. That may mean I do it personally or help them find a church family in their town. Regardless we both learned from God today. They learned of their need for a Savior, and prayed to receive Him. I learned a lesson I knew, but didn't really practice initially with this couple. That the love of Christ is unconditional, and that He is about meeting both spiritual and material needs. Jesus said, "Love each other as I have loved you." And while we do have a tendency sometimes to look at people through our eyes: Why are they in this position? If I were there I'd find a job. They need to be willing to help themselves before we help them. But we must undestand, that Jesus helps those who cannot help themselves. And we as His body are called to provide that help. They needed food. They needed gas. But most of all, they needed Christ. Just as you and I did. Thank you Jesus, for loving me enough to save me from myself. That by your grace and through my faith, I can know you.

And thanks brother Jeff for the timely message.

2 comments:

  1. Thats a really good lesson to learn, we never know where someone truly is by looking on the outside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really was a powerful lesson from God. We need to grasp the concept that the Great Commission and the Greatest Commandment go hand in hand. Unless we love God with all of our heart, and love our neighbor as ourself, we'll never reach people for Christ

    ReplyDelete